Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day 8 - How They Look on Paper

Posted this pic for no other reason than it makes me smile! 
I've noticed that when people talk about their children they always describe them in terms of how they look on paper, (i.e., "I have 2 kids in college, 1 working on his masters, and the other is an engineer.")

I'm not sure why this is our default way of describing our children. Do we think that their success or our success is measured by these things? And if so, why? 

Next time someone tells me about their children I want to hear, "I have the four happiest children ever! Oh, and they all love the Lord!" 

Now, *that* would be a success story! You can look fantastic on paper and still be miserable - trust me, I know. I want to hear about WHO your kids are, not WHAT they do.

2 comments:

  1. I like the title of this post.
    I, for one, look terrible on paper and yet every day of my life is spent encouraging learning, lifting spirits, promoting peace, showing love and inspiring others to succeed. I cook, clean and love my family. I look terrible on paper but I am a vibrant, interesting and mufti-faceted person!
    I just discovered your blog today and have hungrily read of your unschooling experiences. Thank you for writing it down.
    We are currently unschooling a curriculum with our children and look forward with great anticipation to the freedom of completely unschooling ourselves next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment! You sound like an amazing person! This world is so status oriented and I'm really trying to get my kids to see through the lies of materialism and worldly importance! Keep me posted on your journey!

    ReplyDelete